Battlement was renovated several times (in 1774 and 1911), therefore, it has not preserved the original shape. Once a dominant building in the city harbour, at the beginning of the 19th century it loses its military significance and acquires a symbolic one. The Tower appears on the coat of arms of a newly established municipality of Veli Lošinj. After two centuries of decay, it was thoroughly restored from 1997 to 2000 with new wooden construction between floors, wooden stairs and the roof. Eventually, the Tower was established as a museum and a gallery.
Since its opening as the Tower Museum-Gallery in 2001, this valuable cultural monument has again become a significant part of the life of Veli Lošinj.
About the permanent exhibition
Permanent exhibition can be seen on the three floors of the Tower (ground floor, the 1st, and the 2nd floor), conceived as a combination of a thematic presentation and chronological sequence. The most important segments of life of Veli Lošinj and its immediate vicinity surroundings together with the southern part of the island of Lošinj have been presented, covering the period from prehistory to the present day with particular emphasis on glorious maritime tradition and tourism. A special place in the permanent exhibition has been given to Apoxiomenos, a bronze sculpture of worldwide significance discovered in the waters of Veli Lošinj in 1999.
The concept of the permanent exhibition of the Tower Museum-Gallery was conceived by the staff and consultants of the Museum and Gallery Department of the Adult Education Centre of Mali Lošinj in 1997. The authors of the exhibition project and texts of the permanent display are Julijano Sokolić and Jasminka Ćus-Rukonić, and the artistic layout was designed by Zlatko Kauzlarić-Atač, Ivana Žiljak, and Miro Gavez. It was officially opened to public in 2001.